Thursday, September 8, 2011

Praise Your King

Have you ever thought of writing your own Psalm?  I did a long time ago; in fact it was an assignment for school.  It doesn't have to rhyme but it does have to be heart felt. When you read the writings from David and the other Psalms writers you feel their emotion.  Whether it be joy or sadness, fear or courage etc. 
I know I have have said in the past not to be led by our emotions.  This is still true, however we are to allow ourselves to display emotion.  Remember Genesis 1:26a  says "And God said, 'Let us make man in our image, after our likeness...' ."
This includes our emotions.  We are just not to let them drive us.  Example "Oh, I woke up happy so it will be a good day" or "Oh, I woke up sad so it will be a bad day."  Everyday is a good day because God made if not because of the circumstances that surround the day. Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which Jehovah hath made; We will rejoice and be glad in it."  I know it is hard to be thankful of praise God when we are comforter.  You can also write a psalm that cries out for healing, protection or peace.  Psalm 23 is an example of this.
Psalm 23
1."Jehovah is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures; He leadeth me beside still waters.
3. He restoreth my soul: He guideth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4. Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil;  for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
5. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup runneth over.
6. Surely goodness and loving kindness shall follow me all the days of my life; And I shall dwell in the house of Jehovah for ever." (ASV)
I have used the phrase many time, "God is good all the time."  This is easy to say when everyone around you is healthy, your kids are obeying, you have enough money to pay the bills, and your friends all think you are the best thing since sliced bread.  But it gets infinitely harder when your marriage is struggling, your kids are making horrible decisions, you have a medical emergency that you can't pay for and your spouse or you just lost a job.  So now what!?  Are you still able to day God is good all the time?  I hope so.  Look at it like powering through the last few repetitions at the gym or finishing the last 2 miles of your marathon.  Even if it is through gritted teeth you growl out.  "GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME!!"  Say it out loud so Satan can hear you and you claim victory right here, right now.  DO NOT allow him to defeat you.  By the way this doesn't mean smiling like an idiot pretending nothing is wrong.
Joshua 1:9 says "Have not I commanded you?  Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." (KJV)
Remember defeating Satan won't take away the trial but it will give you "a peace that passes all understanding" Philippians 4:7a.

Now go write your own psalm.  If you would like to post it here on my blog feel free.  I would love to read it.  It doesn't have to be super long and remember when the psalmist wrote he didn't write in numbered verses, they were more like poems.  Go for it praise your King!!

I praise you O God,
for you have filled my days with beauty.
You show me Your mercy by not consuming me
even though I sin against you.
You love me with a love that even I,
a mother cannot fathom.
You have blessed me in so many ways.
Thank you for my family,
for the protection you grant,
and the healing you give.
I praise you, O God,
not because of the stuff I have,
But because You, O Lord;
Yahweh, are the only One True God.
 You alone are worthy of any praise
that comes from my mouth.
HALLELUJAH!  HALLELUJAH!
You are King of this universe,
King of this world and
King of my heart!
Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment